16 June 2017
13:00 - 17:30, Polanentheater
Housing first in social housing – support for making it work
Housing First Europe Hub
This session will feature four presentations about successful Housing First initiatives in social housing sectors across Europe. Starting us off will be Finland, a world leader in the reduction of homelessness using the Housing First methodology. Next, we will look at two cities: in Lyon, France, local authorities are working closely with social housing providers to plan and implement Housing First programmes; and in Liverpool, UK, where the Housing First Europe Hub, working with the UK charity, Crisis, has undertaken a study on how to scale up Housing First across major cities. Finally, we will look at how Housing First has been adopted in The Netherlands in partnership with social housing providers.
- Introduction to the Housing First Europe Hub and its mission to promote the scaling up of Housing First – Juha Kaakinen, Y-Foundation, Finland
- The importance of involving housing providers in the development of Housing First practices
- How can the Housing First Europe Hub support social housing providers: training, research, and advocacy tools
- Models for cities – scaling up Housing First across services and sectors
- Lyon, France –Cédric Van Styvendael, Habitat Est – Lyon and Housing Europe, and Corinne Aubin Vasselin, director of housing for the City of Lyon; discussion on current plans for working together to scale up Housing First
- Liverpool – Chris Hancock, Crisis, UK; presentation on the feasibility study conducted by Crisis, with support from the Housing First Europe Hub, on how to scale up Housing First
- The Netherlands – Innovation in social housing for vulnerable people in the Netherlands – Karen van Brunschot, Federatie Opvang, and Jules van Dam, director of Tussen Voorziening in Utrecht; this presentation will cover topics including the action programme, ‘Weer Thuis’ co-organised by Aedes, the national association of Netherlands municipalities (VNG), and the Federatie Opvang
Speakers will present on their country-specific experiences. Participants will have ample opportunity to ask questions and are invited to consider how the Housing First Europe Hub might support them in the future to help make Housing First a real solution for homelessness.
Juha Kaakinen – CEO, Y-Foundation, Finland
Cédric Van Styvendael – Director General, Habitat Est, Lyon
Corinne Aubin Vasselin – Director of housing for the City of Lyon
Chris Hancock, Head of Housing, Crisis, UK
Karen van Brunschot – Senior Policy Officer, Federatie Opvang
Jules Van Dam – Director – Tussenvoorziening, board member – Federatie Opvang, Utrecht
Chair Freek Spinnewijn – Director, FEANTSA
Ruth Owen – Policy Coordinator, FEANTSA
The Housing First Europe Hub is a new platform for sharing learning about Housing First and providing support for training, advocacy, and research on scaling up Housing First in Europe.
Date, time: Friday 16 June 2017, 13:00 – 17:30 hrs.
Location: Polanentheater, Room of Mirrors. Polanenstraat 174, 1013 Amsterdam, Netherlands
Samara Jones – Samara.firstname.lastname@example.org
Taina Hytönen – Taina.Hytonen@ysaatio.fi